Maximizing Mattress Performance: The Role of a Solid Foundation or Box Spring
Written by Ryan Farris
By now we understand the basics of what we need in a mattress, but what many people forget to consider is the importance of a good Foundation or Box Spring(without the springs)!
No, they are not simple “boxes” retailers use to make an extra buck – that is a common myth in the mattress world. A good mattress foundation can actually amplify the benefits of your new mattress in a few ways.
Benefits of a good mattress foundation:
- Creates additional support for your mattress
- Provides even, structured distribution to avoid wear in specific areas
- Absorbs shock
- Helps keep dust and dirt from getting into the mattress
- Increases the height of the mattress to reduce stress on the body when getting in or out of bed
- Increases air circulation around the mattress
All of these factors lead to one simple fact – a good foundation helps your mattress last longer. A longer lifespan saves you money, and ensures you are happy with your bed for years to come.
Mattress foundations also come in many forms, such as the basic box spring, foundation, slats, or metal platform frames.
There is one thing to keep in mind, however. A foundation can wear in just like a mattress does over time. Putting a brand new mattress on an old foundation may cause the mattress to wear down faster into the same position the foundation has. This can affect the lifespan of your mattress.
The general rule is to buy a new foundation every time you buy a new mattress